Tuesday 22 July 2008

Day One - Assessments

This morning I met with Nikki Stephens who was the Hearing Therapist. She wanted to hear my background and every day situations on how I currently cope. She confirmed that I was good lip speaker.

I wasn't looking forward to taking the next assessment which was the audiology repeat assessment. I did better than the last time but I still struggled to understand the words from the speakers. Yvette said that she felt really bad for putting me through this difficult test!

After lunch, Yvette carried out another test by putting the electrodes on my head so she could see the brainwave and responses. I had to keep still for 20 minutes.

Afterwards I met the Speech and Language Therapist, Sarah. She was getting to know me and how I was taught to speech from young age. She explained that I spoke really well and that she was confident that I would be eligible to have a cochlear implant.

Finally I met Mr Peter Ashcroft, the surgeon who would be operating me if I was successful on having a CI. He looked inside my ears and looked at my audiograms. He said that my hearing was very poor. Having looked at the latest audiograms and the various tests carried out, he offered me an implant.

The whole day was positive but tiring and tomorrow I will be back for day two assessments.

No comments: