Wednesday 5 November 2008

Switch on - Guy Fawkes!!

The moment of the truth finally arrived! I was feeling calm, excited and not too nervous because I wasn't expecting too much to happen. My mum came with me to watch the switch on. I met Helen the Audiologist and she explained the procedure and I removed my other hearing aid. I placed my processor on my head for the very first time and I was being so careful about the magnet as it met. It felt strange wearing it but I soon got used to it after a while. I was prepared to hear some beeps sounds. Helen discovered that 22 electrodes were working and only one of them doesn't work but that didn't make any difference. So I was raring to go and then 5 minutes later I heard the beeps!!! It made me jump but it certainly made me smile! That was a good sign and then she turned it on. It certainly made me smile even more! Helen was talking to me and I picked up some of what she said. It sounded so squeaky! My mum was asked to say something to see if I could hear her well. I understood her sounds but too not clear. We both felt emotional and tried not to have tears because we were both happy that the impant was really working. I found it a bit clear once I put my hearing aid back on and I was getting the balance of hearing from both ears. As time went by, I began to understand Helen a bit clear and when she was picking up some paperwork, I could hear the paper rustling and it drove me mad!!! I certainly heard my voice well too! Helen made some adjustments to my processor that suits me. I was given "program 1" and then I would come back 2 days later (Friday) for another tuning. I was keen to go outside and see what I could hear. I didn't pick up much and once we drove home, I actually heard the car indicators for the first time and it made me happy! I picked up so many little things for the rest of the day, for example we decided to go to the supermarket. I was pushing the trolley along the aisle and all the sudden I heard a man's voice behind me (didn't understand what he said but just the tone of his voice) and I never heard it before. When I got home I wanted to email my dad how it went and I couldn't believe I could even hear the keyboard tapping as I typed!! I was really pleased by today's events and the emotions I faced. I felt so worn out by early evening. I know I just have to be patient and know it will get clearer as time goes by.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Sounds like you had a great activation!


Enjoy yourself as you learn what new sounds are like!